2nd and 4th Wednesdays 4:00pm (for high-risk worshipers)
What is our strategy? The Board of Elders developed the following strategy on May 4, 2020, and the church council approved it on May 14, 2020.
- Services times: We will expand the number of services in order to accommodate the number of worshipers while maintaining 6 feet of space between them. We will worship on Sunday mornings at 9:00am and, since we are now in the summer, we will still have the Monday evening service at 6:30pm
- Please note: High-risk individuals may wish to hold back a little while longer from worship, or may use the 4:00pm worship service on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month. At these services, masks are required throughout the time you are in the building, there is no singing of any kind, and the time of service is kept to a minimum (about 20 minutes). There are no bulletins or handouts but communion will be offered in the same manner as described below.
- Because of the length of our pews, only the ends will be available for individuals/couples to use (a family may sit together, taking up as much space as they need). To maintain 6 feet of separation front to back, every other pew will be closed off. We will remove the hymnals and friendship folders and have single-use bulletins with all the needed words to liturgy and hymns.
- For communion, we will go to a continuous style of offering the Sacrament. The communicants will come to the front, one at a time (maintaining distance), receive the elements, and return to their pew. There will be no kneeling at the rail. We will do one side of the church first and then the other. We will also temporarily suspend using the common cup and offer only the individual cups. This keeps the number of servers to two and makes for a smoother process.
- Personal contact (handshaking, hugging, etc.) is discouraged. We will open the back doors of the nave so that worshipers may arrive and leave without being bunched together.
- We encourage worshipers to come and leave wearing masks but may remove them during worship if they so choose. We have a limited supply of cloth masks at church that are washable and may be reused. We will also have hand sanitizer dispensers at the entrances of church.
- Between the 9:00am and 6:30pm services, we will disinfect the pews, doorknobs, bathrooms, and other commonly touched surfaces.
- We will receive the offering by placing receptacles at the entrances of the nave for the worshipers to place their tithe.
These changes are being done only because of the COVID-19 restrictions and are only temporary. When restrictions are removed and we are able to worship as we always have, we will return to our regular customs. In the meantime, we praise and thank God that He is leading us through this with hope and good will. His Word is still accomplishing mighty things in and around us.